Making things simpler and easier is the reason that most people use a computer. It’s especially so for us Mac lovers. We hate complications, error messages, and anything else that will complicate our day, that’s why we have a Mac OS X and not a Windows OS. WIth this in mind, you can see how it makes sense that Apple gave us a tool to help make some everyday routine tasks even easier.
This little helper is called Otto. Otto lives inside your Mac in an app called Automator. Your little buddy Otto is going to help make things simpler by allowing you to drag and drop your repetitive tasks into his system where he will take over from there. Although that sounds like it may be something hard to setup, it’s not. You won’t need to know any programming when you automate your routine with Automator.
Have Routine Tasks? Automate Them with Automator
1. Open Multiple Web Pages
It is common for people to start up their computers in the morning and load up the same web pages day after day. Wouldn’t you like a simpler way to load up all these pages at once? Well the Automator has a workflow application that can make this action happen.
- In Automator choose Application and select Internet, which is in the section of the Library. Drag over the Get Specified URLs into the workflow window. You will be able to add the web pages you want to load up. Then add in the Display Web pages action.
2. Turn Text Into Audio
Turning your text into audio can be very beneficial on many different levels, such as for the hearing impaired or for you to listen to your text while working on other tasks. This application allows you to copy the text over to the clipboard and create an audio file.
- To complete this action, you will need to create a new application and then locate the Get Contents of Clipboard action. This is located under the Text section of the application. Then you will want to drag the action over into the workflow window. After that, you will need to drag the Text to the Audio File from the same action.
3. Send Emails Easily To Repeated Senders
Do you send multiple emails to a certain person, or group that are very similar every time? Then this workflow application could help you manage your time and get the emails written and sent faster. This application can address the recipient(s) with a pre-written email and subject line. Just follow these simple steps:
- While in Automator, choose Workflow and then Mail. Now choose New Mail Message. Drag to the Action Pane. Fill out the recipient’s) email address, the subject line, and then the content in the message field (if it is going to be the same every time). Then click on Options at the bottom of the new mail message box. Make sure you click the box that states “show this action when the workflow runs”. If you don’t click this box, your email will automatically send the message when you open this application.
4. Play Your Favorite Playlist
Many people love to listen to their favorite playlist while working. Perhaps you’re one of them. If so, wouldn’t you like to play your favorite audio playlist with only one click? Then this workflow is a great option for you. This application will play the selection you have chosen from your iTunes account. Here’s how:
- While in Work Flow click on Media. Open up your iTunes account and then select your favorite music or audio clip. Then you will slide the file over to your Automator workflow pane. Here you can choose your options. Then make sure you have saved the application. It’s just that easy!
5. Time To Quit All These Applications
When your workspace gets a bit cluttered it is good to quit some of your running applications. Running a simple Automator application will allow you to do this one click. To run this application, you will want to follow one simple step:
- Create a new Application and add it to All Quit Applications, which is located under the Utilities section on the workflow. If there’s an application that you want to stay running, then you can create an exception. Placing this application on your Dock will give you easy access to access it allowing you to refresh it when needed.
Automatic Help to Automate Your Routine with Automator
If you ever need any help with the Automator, you can always use the help tab at the top. There are numerous things you can do with the Automator. These 5 things you can do with Automator to automate your routine tasks are a small chip in the Automator iceberg.