Many of us have hundreds of different media files sitting in our iTunes libraries but we can’t use them while we are away from our main computer. Well, now that has all changed and we are able to set up an iTunes home server. This home server will allow you to share your iTunes files and enjoy your favorite music, TV shows and movies from anywhere.
Enjoy Your Favorite Movies, TV Shows And Music Files Anywhere Any Time!
1. Set Up Your Main Mac and iTunes Account
Before anything can be started, you will need to set up an iTunes library to your dedicated Mac. To transfer your iTunes library you will want to use Migration Assistant. You will launch Migration Assistant from your Utilities folder and then tell it what you want it to do. You will be able to transfer your library via WiFi if both of your Macs have a FireWire port. This is the most easiest way to transfer the files.
After your iTunes library has been set up and you have it running, you will need to change a few settings and the way the Mac will operate. Changing these settings will keep your iTunes server running 24/7. To change these settings, you will need to follow a few simple steps.
- First you will want to go to “System Preferences” and then “Energy Saver”. You will want to make sure that the Computer Sleep option is set to “Never.” Also, that the sleep selector is set to 1 minute. This will make sure that your Mac stays on, but the display won’t.
- Next you will need to check the boxes that are labeled, “Put the hard disks to sleep when possible” and “Wake for network access”. You also have an option to check the box labeled “Restart automatically if the computer freezes”.
- Next, you will want to make sure when your computer restarts that your iTunes will always be running. You will want to right click on the iTunes icon on the Dock and then click Options and select Open at Login.
- You will now need to configure iTunes preferences. You will start by opening iTunes and navigate to Preferences and then Store. You will want to check Music, Apps and Books under the Automatic Downloads heading. Also, check, “Always check for available downloads”. This will ensure that you iTunes library is always up to date with the latest purchases.
- To make sure your iTunes automatically gets the track information, imports a CD and then Ejects it once it’s done, you will want go to the “General” tab and then select, “Import CD and Eject” from the “When you insert a CD” drop down menu.
2. Set Up iTunes Home Sharing
Home sharing is a great way to enjoy your music, movies and TV shows on multiple devices on your local network. Home sharing is very easy to activate and will work on multiple devices including your iPhone or iPad. To enable Home Sharing you will need to follow a few simple steps.
- First you will need to click on Advance
- Then click Home Sharing in iTunes to turn it on
- You will then be asked to type in your iTunes account username and password then click on “Create Home Share” button.
3. Enable SSH/SFTP Access
To get access to your music files on your system remotely on your Mac or iOS device over the internet, you will need to turn on SSH/SFTP. SSH is a service on your Mac that give you the ability to remotely access your files through a secure FTP (SFTP) connection. This allows you to transfers files as you please over a secure network. To read an article about how to enable SSH/SFTP, click here.
4. Connecting Up To Your iTunes Server
To connect your iTunes Home Server through your Apples Home Sharing, you can use your local network. The first thing you will need to do is enable Home Sharing on all of the computers you will be using. To turn Home Sharing on you go to “Advanced” and then turn on Home Sharing.
Once you have turned on Home Sharing you will see your library in the Shared section of your iTunes sidecar. When you click on this section, you will be able to access all of your media files on your iTunes Home Server.
Setting up an iTunes home server is the most convenient way to have all your favorite media files in one place and still be able to enjoy them anywhere and at anytime. Another great benefit is that you will be able to share your files with other people that have your account set up on their devices.